Groundbreaking pop-up gallery opened as part of The New York Times ‘Art for Tomorrow’ conference
The Art Lab, a pop-up art gallery, has been set-up on Level 29 of the W Doha Hotel & Residences that will be open to the public on 15th March 2016 from 8:00am to 1:00pm as part of The New York Times ‘Art for Tomorrow’ conference.
Works from the following artists will be on display in The Art Lab:
- His Royal Highness Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark and his Soundwall Exhibition
- Pia MYrvoLD and her works ‘Wands’, first generation smart sculptures and ‘Stargate’, an immersive video sculpture
- Androulla Michael and her ‘Deconstructed Selfie’
- Google Art Institute and their 3D glasses that allow one to go into an art gallery and zoom into any art piece to see its intricate details
- Laurence Winram, Scottish photographer with his Saatchi award-winning ‘The Watchers’, and a selection from ‘The Conemen’ series
- Omar Khalifa, a locally based artist with his polychrome status
- Sheikh Hassan Al Thani, with a selection of his work
- Ali Hossaini, with his Ouroboros: The History of the Universe
“We are extremely honored to host The New York Times ‘Art for Tomorrow’ conference again this year. Although access and engagement with art continues to evolve, its role in shaping a city’s, or even a nation’s, authentic identity is vital. This is one of the many reasons we have introduced The Art Lab and we encourage the public to partake in this incredible arts and cultural exchange by visiting it on Level 29 of the W Doha,” says Safak Guvenc, Area Manager of Qatar and General Manager for W Doha Hotel & Residences.
W Doha Hotel & Residences is host sponsor to the second edition of The New York Times ‘Art for Tomorrow’ conference from March 12 to 15. It was officially opened by Michael Golden, Vice Chairman of The New York Times. The influential list of speakers and participants include Qatar Museums chairperson Her Excellency Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani; artists Marina Abramović and Jeff Koons; architects Koray Duman and William Lim; His Excellency Akbar Al Baker, group CEO, Qatar Airways; and Jean Nouvel, founder, Ateliers Jean Nouvel.
For news and updates about the conference, follow @NYTLive on Twitter. The hashtag for the conference is #NYTAFT.
For further information, please visit: http://www.whoteldoha.com/. Book at whoteldoha.com or call +974 44535343.